Microsoft Certification is an industry standard that is recognized all over the world. Earning Microsoft Certification will help to enrich skills and enhance his/her employability credibility. The MS certifications help one gain an edge over other IT professionals. They fuel new and valuable careers. Adding a Microsoft certification to CV helps IT professional to stand out and get hired quickly. For more detailed information on benefits of MS certifications visit, https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/learning/program-membership.aspx
In this article, I will discuss about how to prepare for 70-532: Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions certification, which rewarded me Microsoft Specialist: Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions Certification. This certification is developer oriented that validates their skills on developing, configuring, deploying and managing cloud applications using .NET tools, SDK for building Azure Cloud applications. Before discussing about 70-532, let’s look at the updated Azure certification track - MCSA: Cloud Platform Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate. To earn MCSA you need to clear any two of the following examinations.
Note : The above mentioned certification details are subject to changes based on the Microsoft’s official decision regarding the re-structuring of MS Azure certification. For the latest examination updates please visit- https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/learning/mcsa-cloud-platform-certification.aspx
Now let’s discuss about 70-532- Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions.
This examination covers PaaS offerings of MS Azure such as Blob Storage, Table Storage, Queue Storage, Azure Web Apps, Cloud Services, CosmosDB Azure Event Hubs, Service Fabric and Azure SQL Database. Additionally it includes IaaS topics such as Azure Active Directory, Virtual machines, Virtual network, traffic manager, Azure Power Shell -a command line interface scripting to manage Azure resources. During the exam I observed that a lot of the questions were based on services like Storage, Web Apps, Web Jobs, SQL Server, DocumentDB , Cloud Services, Virtual Machines and Azure Power Shell scripts etc., but you may expect questions from the other services as well. All of the questions were case study based. It is an online exam and may include 55-60 multiple choice questions. The candidates are not expected to write any code. The duration of the exam is 120 minutes. The passing percentage of this exam is 70%. The results appear on the screen immediately after successful completion of the exam. In case a candidate fails, the retake policy allows a candidate to appear for the exam again after 24 hours. If a candidate fails in the second attempt, then he/she must wait at least 14 days before the third attempt.
Who can appear for this exam?
The IT professionals who wish to appear for this exam should have experience in developing and deploying cloud solutions using .NET tools and SDK.
What skills you should possess to be able to clear the exam?
The syllabus is divided into five major sections as below.
- Create and manage Azure Resource Manager Virtual Machines (30‒35%)
- Design and implement a storage and data strategy (25‒30%)
- Manage identity, application, and network services (15‒20%)
- Design and implement Azure PaaS compute and web and mobile services (25–30%
In the above list the percentages indicate the relative weight of each major topic of the exam. The higher the percentage indicates that more questions are likely to appear on that that particular topic in the exam.
For the details listing of the subtopics for each of the above listed topics is available at the link.
How to prepare for the exam?
- Resources to be used to learn how to build and deploy cloud solution.
a) Azure Portal
- How to Deploy an Azure Web Site:- http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-deploy/
- Getting Started with the Azure WebJobs SDK:- http://www.asp.net/aspnet/overview/developing-apps-with-windows-azure/getting-started-with-windows-azure-webjobs
- How to Monitor Cloud Services:- http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/cloud-services-how-to-monitor/
- Configuring SSL for a Cloud Service in Azure:- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cloud-services/cloud-services-configure-ssl-certificate-portal
b) Git Hub Samples-use the samples and documents available on Github
c) Enroll for course available at SEED - Developing Microsoft Azure Solutions. Please visit the link for course details (link goes here)
3. Practice exams
Exam preparation tips
Here are few guidelines for studying and preparing for Azure certification exam:
- Study in details the five major topics and its sub topics.
- The candidates must have a thorough knowledge of developing and deploying cloud solutions.
- Good knowledge on working both PaaS(70%) and IaaS(30%) offerings of Azure.
- Using Azure PowerShell scripts to create and manage Azure resources
- There is huge wealth of information available about MS Azure on the Microsoft Azure portal. Read the walkthrough, tutorial pages related to PaaS , IaaS offerings(as per the 532 syllabus) and Azure PowerShell scripts thoroughly. Implement the walkthroughs available on the portal. To implement cloud solutions you should have a
- Azure subscription is required to implement cloud application, which is a plan that gives user access to a variety of Azure services. Once you decide to purchase a subscription plan, you can choose from a variety of purchase options. Or you can get started with Azure with a $200 free account. (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/)
- Use the resources mentioned above to prepare on each topic.
- Once you are well acquainted with both concepts & theory of all the topics solve practice tests.
- Estimate the time you would require to prepare for exam, give yourself a dead-line to appear for the exam.
Following the above-mentioned guidelines will help you prepare well for the examination.
For exam formats and question types, visit the below link.